Saturday, July 28, 2007

Part of Joshua Lye's Sharing ...

Daily Testimonies

Testimonies of ordinary people that inspires

Testimony 44: Joshua – A vision in 1992 fulfilled by the grace of God

Name: Joshua
Date: 26 July 2007
Location: Singapore


Yesterday, a dear brother – FT Liu invited me to share with a group of students from Nanyang Technological University (NTU). FT Liu is the leader of the NTUCF alumni. I shared some testimonies from my NTU days to encourage the students.

As I was sharing a testimony from 1992, I realized that a vision given by the Lord was fulfilled before my eyes even as I was sharing. I was in awe of God that He saw into the future. I would like to share this testimony to the glory of God.

In 1992, I was in my second year in the School of Accountancy in NTU. I had some emotional challenges during that year and was distracted from my studies. There was a very difficult subject which I disliked. I skipped the lectures and I did not study for it. During the examinations, for the first time in my life I submitted a blank answer sheet. It was inconceivable because I had always done relatively well in my studies as a scholar all these years.

I had to sit for a supplementary paper. I had to pass that paper in order to progress to the final year. One month before the supplementary paper, there were no improvements in my circumstances. I couldn’t concentrate to study. In fact, I became more anxious and troubled.

In the midst of my circumstances, I had even considered walking away from my problem. I couldn’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. There was no way out. Have you ever felt that way before? I was ready to give up on my scholarship and quit university. That was a low moment in my life.

I had already made up my mind. But I thought, let me seek God and hear what He has to say. I did not want to walk out of His will even though every atom in my being wanted to walk away from the problem. But in my heart, I knew that God would have the final say.

So I called Sister Eunice Ang at her office. The Lord had connected me to Eunice in the Lutheran church when the revival first started. She walks closely with the Lord and the Lord used her to minister prophetically and in visions in the church. She was like a spiritual mother who often encouraged me.

I told her my problem and I requested her to pray for me, and to tell me what the Lord has showed her. She said, “Give me some time, I will pray and I will get back to you.” That was in the morning.

In the late afternoon, I received a call from Eunice. She shared the vision that the Lord had showed her.

“I saw you as a boat that was floating on water. The boat was trapped within a ring-shaped wall. You tried but you couldn’t get out. Then the hand of the Lord came and lifted you out and placed me outside the ring. But I saw a second ring around you. Again you tried but you couldn’t get out. The hand of the Lord came and lifted you up again. But then I saw a third ring around you. You couldn’t get out and the hand of the Lord lifted you out for the third time. Then I saw you walking up a flight of stairs. When you reached the top, I was you before a group of young people and you shared with them that God’s grace is sufficient for us.”

I asked, “What does it mean?” Eunice said, “The three rings represent your struggle through the three years in NTU. The hand of the Lord carried you miraculously through each of the three years. After that you will progress in your natural and spiritual walk. When the Lord has established you, you will share with a group of young people that it was the grace of God that carried you through.”

I was concerned about passing my supplementary paper. But God showed a vision of the future way beyond the supplementary paper. I was awed. But I received my answer. The Lord had promised that He would bring me through my second year. I will clear my supplementary paper.

The rhema word of God is spirit and is life. It brought about a 180 degrees change in my heart. The peace of God entered my heart. In the midst of the internal storm, I experienced peace beyond understanding. Faith entered my heart and I knew that God would work a miracle – in spite of how impossible it seemed.

I believed God. I approached a friend to help me. I requested her to pass me all her notes and to run through a whole year’s syllabus for this challenging subject in less than one month. But I had a problem. She thought I was out of my mind. She said, “It’s just not possible.” I remembered what I said to her, “Luying, the Lord has given His word that I will make it. All you need to do is to help and we will leave the outcome to God. When I have cleared the exams, you will know that this is a miracle.” I didn’t know where that faith came from, but now I know it was the vision that carried me. [Aside - Dear Luying, thanks for the help, I trust you remember this interesting experience].

So Luying shared her notes and went through them briefly. The month went by quickly and I realized that I was still not prepared. I was in cold sweat the night before the paper. My wife Florence was with me and she prayed for me.

The next day, I went to the exam hall trusting God. It was like David facing Goliath. Goliath could tear him into pieces. Likewise, for me, it seemed impossible in the natural and only God could work a miracle. All I hung on to was that one vision – that promise from God. Florence was with me. She said that she would be downstairs interceding in the Spirit for me.

I did my best. I answered half the paper to my best ability. When I walked out of the hall, I thought I had lost the battle. I was dejected. I answered half the paper. Assuming that I got half of my answers correct, I would have 25 marks. That would be too far off the passing mark. My head was hung down when I met Florence.

Florence was full of the radiance of God. She came to me and shared with great excitement, “As I was praying in the Spirit, the Lord said to me to stop praying and to start giving thanks. He said that you have passed.”

Can you imagine what was going through my mind? Everything that I saw and felt in the natural told me that I would fail. But everything that God had said through Eunice and Florence tells me that I had passed! The word of God was such a life-force in my heart that I believed it more than the circumstances. I replied Florence, “Really! He said that? Praise the Lord! Let us go for a nice meal to celebrate the fact that I had passed!”

So we went for a good meal and gave thanks to the Lord. I committed the matter to God and did not entertain any doubts.

While we were waiting for the results, I would go with Florence to the library to study the Bible. One day, I felt restless in my Spirit. I couldn’t sit still. So I stood up to go for a walk. As I stood up, the Holy Spirit said in my heart, “The results are out!” I told Florence excitedly, “The results are out!” Without a doubt, we walked to the notice board where the results would be posted. The actual result slips would usually reach a few days later by mail.

I couldn’t bring myself to the notice board. Was it excitement of nervousness that I felt? So I told Florence, “Go and see the results for me.” She went and she shouted excitedly, “I see your name here.” I asked, “What does that mean? Did I pass or fail?” She said, “It means you have passed.”

I didn’t know how it happened. It was impossible in the natural. But it happened as God had said it would. I was in awe of God – and amazing His love for us. We sat at one of the study benches to worship God with songs. I recalled that it was raining at that time. It was like God’s showers of blessings were on us.

So the Lord carried me through three years. I graduated and started working. Years have passed and the Lord has blessed us in our natural walk and our spiritual walk. It was like walking up the flight of stairs in that vision which I had forgotten – saved in a corner of the hard disk in my mind.

Yesterday, as I was sharing with the group of your people (students) this testimony, and as I told them how the grace of God carried me through, the Lord said in my heart that the vision had been fulfilled. I often share with adults and working people, but this was the first time that I was sharing to a group of young people – as what Eunice saw in the vision. And best of all, these were NTU students!

Through the experience, many questions passed through my mind. Does not know our future? Does He see ahead of us? Can He bring to pass whatever He says? Is His grace sufficient for us whatever the challenge that confronts us? Do we have to walk away in defeat or can the power of the cross carry us through in victory? Do we really know how much He loves us? I am convinced that all the answers are positive for me and for you.

Thank you Lord Jesus.

About Daily Testimonies

Daily Testimonies is a compilation of testimonies of ordinary believers like you and me. These testimonies serve to inspire us because what God can do for others, He can do for us. A listing of testimonies is also available at http://www.dailytestimonies.blogspot.com. If you would like to share your testimonies with others, send it to us.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home